Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Gregory Mott's The iPod and the Fury
In the article "The iPod and the Fury" Gregory talks about the corrolation between hearing loss and iPod invention. An interesting fact that struck out to me in this article was that the doses of sound that you can get from earphones can be as high as 120 decibels which is an equivalent to a loud rock concert. This can lead to risk of hearing damage after 7.5 minutes of exposure. As soon as I read this I was worried I don’t listen to my iPod really loud but the fact that you can get hearing damage after only a few minutes really makes me think twice before I decide to put the volume up. Many people use iPod to get rid of background noise and once they get use to the intensity of the sound their only reaction is to turn up the volume. I do believe that that this can lead to hearing lost because if you’re in an elevator and you can hear someone else music then that person in the elevator with the headphones that person is “giving themselves a hearing loss”. In my opinion if you can listen to it 65 to 70 decibels which is the equivalent to a normal conversation then one should do it. The problem with earphones is that is that they are going directly into your ears so the effects are much worst as oppose to listening to it from speakers because the music is not traveling directly into your ears. Overall I think that it is not the invention of iPod or portable music players that are causing hearing loss it is loud the music is being listen to. In the end it is up to the individual and high he/she is willing to listen to the music.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment